Skip to main content

tv   FOX News Sunday With Chris Wallace  FOX News  May 11, 2014 3:00pm-4:01pm PDT

3:00 pm
mother's day. check out facebook page where we post the video. we are back here on sunday at 11:00 and 5:00 eastern with the latest buzz. >> i am chris wallace, an international effort to free hundreds of nigerian schoolgirls kidnaped by islamic extremists. protesters take to the streets. and the internet. they are expressing outrage over the abduction. as the world rallies, what should the united states do? >> there is no question we are racing against the clock here. they have been gone for a long-term. >> we will sit down with former united states ambassador to nigeriania and the cofounder of the fund. >> house republicans named members of the select committee to investigate benghazi but will
3:01 pm
democrats participate? >> i want to talk to everyone who has first-hand knowledge of what happened that night and i want access to every document. >> this is a stunt, a political stunt. >> we will talk with the chair of the committee, the head of the house of representatives caucus, as well. an exclusive. with republicans investigating benghazi and siting i.r.s. official for contempt, democrats call it "conspiracy week." our sunday panel discusses who has the better argument. and our power player of the week : leader of uconn's women basketball trips and now talking to pentagon officials about leadership. >> we are doing the same thing but the stakes are winning and losing a game. >> all right now on fox news sunday. hello again from fox in
3:02 pm
washington. as we celebrate mother's day it is heartbreak for hundreds of mothers in nigeria whose daughters have been kidnapped. in the girls, we see our own daughters. we see their hopes. their dreams. we can only imagine the anguish their parents are feeling right now. more than 250 girls are still missing. jennifer? >> six military personnel are on the ground in niger.part of a group of 16 united states pearl knell sent to pinpoint where the kidnapped school girls are being held bit islamic fighters. in are rising demands that the united states and others do more to help the mothers and families of the young girls and now the pentagon is discussing the possibility of moving
3:03 pm
surveillance and assets, possibly drones to nigeria. they are waiting for nigeria to make the request formally but there is still no talk of sending armed united states troops to assist the church. outrage ensued three weeks after the kidnapping when this video appeared this week from the leader of the group laughing as he boasted of converting the christian girls to islam threatening to sell the girls into slavely and the united states placed a $7348 bounty on the man last year n november he was designateed a foreign terror organization after the accident resisted requests to do so for several years. the group means "western sense a sin," and the first lady tweeted this picture demanding that girls be returned. the nigerian president who did not speak about kidnapped girls or call for a security meeting to mount a search, finally
3:04 pm
spoke. >> this was an explosive revelation that the nigerian military was warned four hours before it occurred and did not use their security forces to try to stop it. chris? >> thank you. >> we joined by the c.e.o. founder of a fund in new york and former united states ambassador to nigeria, john campbell. president obama talked about the limits of what he can two to try to rescue the schoolgirls. >> i have the remarkable title right now, president of the united states yet there are times in which i want to reach
3:05 pm
out and save those kids having to think through which powers we have at any given moment. >> ambassador scam bell -- scam bell what can the united states and the government of nigeria do? >> the united states can provide technical assistance, intelligence and intelligence sharing. it can also provide expertise in things like negotiation strategy if and when that becomes something which is feasible. however, for the united states to do anything requires the request and acquiescence of the nigerian government. it is a sovereign country. we can operate there only if we are asked. >> and this came up in the report, why have they been reluctant to take action and to ask for international help?
3:06 pm
>> nigeria traditionally views itself as the giant of africa as it is in terms of population. it is a proud country that for a long time has played an extraordinarily positive role in conflict resolution in west africa. in other words, the nigerians look to help, not be helped so this is a different set of circumstances for nigerian government. >> another question but our next guest, what doesed group, boko haram want? a prisoner swap for their members in nigerian jails or about terrorizing the nigerian people and undercutting the central government? >> what their rhetoric says is that it wants to destroy the nigerian state. it wants to destroy the nigerian
3:07 pm
state because the state is secular. it wants to destroy western education because it sees western education as promoting secularism and shaping the nigerian state. >> you run the fund named after your friend who was subject to a terrible attack in pakistan as a schoolgirl who was speaking for girls' rights. why are these terrorist or these islamists groups so frustrated, so threatened by the power of women? >> chris, unfortunately, it is a tactic we have seen deployed by extreme groups again and again as a means of intimidation, of control, of terrorizing families, of terrorizing entire populations. it really temperatures from the wider ideology of groups like
3:08 pm
boko haram and the taliban which attacked malala, fear of progress and fear of liberal thinking and of woke being empowered. in one valley we saw it as a gradual progression where, first, children were asked to be segregated. then they demanded some change in the curriculum and moved to actual destruction of schools. in nigeria it has been swifter and more horrifying attack with the kidnapping of almost 300 schoolgirls. >> let me ask you about the actions of the malala fund because you are donating the money you get to nigerian women's group and calling for urgent action. without like to see president obama and the united states use all military assets to lunch a
3:09 pm
rescue mission? >> it is promising that the nigerian president has accepted the offers of support from the united states and from the united kingdom and that the teams are on the ground. it is unfortunate that it took three weeks for the cooperation to come about. given that it is mother's day we are hopeful that things will move quickly from here on. it also has been incredibly promising to see the power of social media in this case almost 900,000 signatures on the petition calling for the release of the girls and two million impressions on twitter "brin7[sç back our girls" that compelled both the nigerian government and the international community to move on this issue. we have to stay hopeful and the fund is pushing and a variety of groups are pushing to see the
3:10 pm
girls return safely and to see longer term investments in the security and education of nigeria. >> former secretary of state hillary clinton spoke out this week about the kidnappings. >> the government of nigeria needs to get serious about protecting all of its citizens -- girls and women as well as boys and men -- and ensuring naviry child has the right and opportunity to go to school in security and safety. >> ambassador campbell, secretary clinton has come underfire because of the fact that back in 2011 she rejected calls by the f.b.i. and intelligence community to designate boko haram as a terrorist organization as a bush appointee, is that fair, the criticism of hillary clinton? >> no, i don't think so. along with a good many other nigerian experts at the time we
3:11 pm
opposed the designation because we don't think that the legislation actually fits the situation in nigeria. the boko haram movement is diffuse and not a centralized organization. it has important grass roots elements to it and the legislation has to do essentially with issues like getting visas to come to the united states or the movement of money from the united states to nigeria neither of which is relevant. what the legislation also does it inhibits the possibility of future contact between private citizens or public personalities with boko haram and that could reduce the options we have. >> that is, of course, the problem here. this is obviously a horrific even.
3:12 pm
how do you reconcile your call for justice and fighting and dealing with groups like this or the taliban in pakistan, with all of the complications and diplomatic considerations? >> i think there are things that we know have to be done. in particular, bolstering local organizations and civil society inside nigeria and we have known for a long-term that nigeria's local education situation is appalling, one out of every six children out of school are inside nigeria and the state of protection for girls and women remains incredibly shocking so what we move on certain diplomatic fronts is important but in addition, what is important is that all ordinary people, all aid institutions, invest in building nigeria as a
3:13 pm
country, as an economy, in the next generation for schools and through education. >> ambassador campbell we have a minute left. first of all, do you think that the 250 girls are all in one group? do you think they have been split up? what are the realistic chances that we will ever be able to save them? >> we have for hard information on that. it is miley -- highly likely they have been split up. given the fact that national borders in that area of africa are lines on a piece of paper drawn by the british and french we have to consider they could be elsewhere, possibly chad and cameroon and maybe nigeria. the question is, how many do we get back? we are talking about a very large number of people. the nigerian media report that two of the girls heard have been killed by snake bites. >> it is a bleak situation.
3:14 pm
>> a bleak situation. >> we thank our guests for coming in today. >> thank you. >> do you think the united states should do more to i to rescue the nigerian schoolgirls? join the conversation on facebook with other viewers. next, how republicans set up a select committee to investigate benghazi and democrats are divided about whether to participate. we will talk with the chair of the new panel and the head of the house democratic caucus. ad f the house democratic office. scott: appears buster's been busy. man: yeah, scott. i was just about to use the uh... scott: that's a bunch of seed, fertilizer, and scot
3:15 pm
natural mulch that holds water so you can grow grass anywhere! seed your lawn. seed it! afghanistan, in 2009. orbiting the moon in 1971. [ male announcer ] once it's earned, usaa auto insurance is often handed down from generation to generation. because it offers a superior level of protecon. and because usaa'commitment to serve current and former military members andheir families is without equal. begin your legacy. get an auto insurance quote. usaa. we know what it means to serve.
3:16 pm
3:17 pm
what is this place? where are we? this is where we bring together reliably fast internet and the best in entertainment. we call it the x1 entertainment operating system. it looks like the future! we must have encountered a temporal vortex. further analytics are necessary. beam us up. ♪ that's my phone. hey. [ female announcer ] the x1 entertainment operating system. only from xfinity. tv and internet together like never before.
3:18 pm
house speaker john boehner has named seven republicans to a select committee to investigate the benghazi terror attack. house democratic leader nancy pelosi calls it aolical nd i house speaker boehner has named seven congressman to a new committee and we are joined by congressman from south carolina and head of the house democratic caucus. congressman gowdy you have talk how you will run the committee and one comment raised eyebrows. here it is. >> if an administration is slow walking documents i cannot end a trial simply because the defense will not cooperate. >> congressman, do you see this investigation as a trial in do you see the white house as the defense? >> no. first, happy mother's day to everyone. i add that trials are criminal and civil and for 16 years i have talked in trial metaphors
3:19 pm
and plan i need to get out of that. what i meant when you ask how long something will last, i need to know how cooperative the other side will be. to the extent that i said any indication to anyone that i view someone as the "defense," what i meant is if you can tell me how cooperative the other side is going to be i can give you a better idea how long something will last. >> congressman, you have been talking about the committee as a kangaroo court, your words. how do you know that before it even begins meeting? do you believe that all the questions about benghazi have been answered? >> what leads us to believe it could be a kangaroo court or a smokescreen from dealing with real issues such as job creation and so forth, we have done the investigations seven times. five of the investigations coming out of five of the house of representatives republican committees. we have done this over 18 months. we have spent millions.
3:20 pm
we have seen what happens. >> in and around the time of the attacks --. >> congressman gowdy do you know where the congressman was during the seven hours of the attack? >> no, sir, i do not or do i know what communication if any he had with secretary of state clinton or why we were still in benghazi despite the fact that there was an escalation of violence in the months leading up or do i know whether the president caught our allies in the region and said can you get assets to benghazi, we are under attack. i have more questions than answers despite that the committees have looked at this
3:21 pm
four 19 months, now. >> congressman can you answer the specific questions that you just heard from congressman gowdy. >> sure and happy mother's day to all mothers. you served on one of the committees that did the investigation. you are a great prosecutor the you should have asked or could have asked the questions. so the issue, chris, are we going over and over and over and are we setting up a process that not only is fair, balanced or open approach to this, but, also, is appearing to be a smokescreen to raise campaign funds because right now we know the republicans are raising campaign funds off of benghazi investigation that they are calling for. >> we are going to get to the campaign fund in a moment but what about the argument, congressman, you had the opportunity to ask the questions before. >> first of all, thank you, becerra for over stating my career as a prosecutor.
3:22 pm
i don't have access to intelligence or sources and methods and i have never interviewed susan rice about anything or ask any questions about the leadup to benghazi and why we were still there. one of the problems with the existing committee structure is they are frag minutessed. -- fragmented. that is why i asked for a select committee a year ago to tear down the barriers and have access to all of the information. we are not so fragmented according to which committee we are on. >> i have another question, the biggest question, whether democrats will participate in the process? minority leader nancy pelosi was making some demands this week. we will put them on the screen: democrats must sign off on subpoenas. they must be allowed to participate in witness interviews and republicans must not selectively release testimony. congressman, are you saying that
3:23 pm
if you get satisfactory answers to those, the democrats the participate? and if you don't, that you won't? >> we have participated in all the other seven investigations. if it is a fair and open and balanced we process, absolutely. but we don't want reckless handles of an affair that took the lives of four. >> if you are satisfied with the ground rules you are declaring that the democrats will appoint members to the committee. >> i believe so we have said we ready to participate. we have an oversight responsibility in congress. we do not want do see reckless and irresponsible use of congress and taxpayer money for a witch hunted. >> it is unreasonable if democrats to demand some say in how the committee is run? >> no, and if you talk to the ranking members of the two scows i have presided, they will both tell you that i don't run my committees the way that the democrats are fearful of. i want a process that at the end
3:24 pm
of it, you are welcome to draw different conclusions from the facts. i want everyone to say, it was fair, it was exhaustive and we know more than when we started. on two of those three points, i think reasonable minds can agree, on the first point, though, imagine we were starting an regulation and the first thing you ask for is the ability to deny or veto subpoenas going to witnesses. how can that pursuit of the truth? >> we have never asked for that. what we are simply saying, making it a process where we cannot be excluded from the interview of witnesses; where we cannot be excluded when a decision is made if a subpoena of a witness; where we are all in the room reviewing evidence. we do not want to be excluded and the american public shut out. congressman? >> how does it benefit me we when i have said from day one i want this to transcend politics
3:25 pm
or do any of the things you have just listened? >> i will declare victory and say the democrats will participate. >> i love the fact you are adopting that fox slogan. >> we will call it the fox standard. >> you could do worst. >> this week hillary clinton said benghazi has been thoroughly investigated but she added this. >> some choose not to be satisfied and choose to continue to move forward. that is their choice. i do not believe there is any reason for it to continue in this way but they call the shots in the congress. >> congressman gowdy what specifically do you want to learn from secretary hillary clinton and how do you answer charges that a major goal of the committee is to hurt hillary clinton's chances for 2016? >> chris, i have in friends to reward and no foes to punish.
3:26 pm
we will go wherever the facts take us. facts are neither republican or democrat. they are facts. if we overplay our hand or if we engage in a process that is not fair according to the american people, we will be punished, as we should be. >> the single biggest question you want to ask secretary hillary clinton? >> why are we still in benghazi? the british ambassador was almost assassinated. our facility was attacked twice. there were multiple episodes of violence and we were the last flag flying in benghazi and i would lake do know why. >> pew research center did a poll and i have the results on the screen. when asked, what single thing have the most negative view in the career of hillary clinton and people say benghazi even more than the monica lewinsky scan dalt. people have a lot of questions about her role. >> chris, the year and a half that was spent by seven different committees, of course
3:27 pm
it answered. >> you keep pointing to that. they subpoenaed all of the state department documents which took almost last week for the administration, finally to release the e-mails in which two days before susan rice appeared on this show he was suggested she say that it was because of the video not because of a policy failure. >> you know that e-mail shows nothing new. >> i don't agree. i think it shows something dramatically low that despite what the white house has been saying for the last year and a half it shows that inside the white house they were telling susan rice what to say. >> chris, when you get a witness or someone to talk to you they always going to try to prepare for that conversation with you. >> thank you is not what jake carney said for 20 months. >> that e-mail has nothing that is inconsistent with what the c.i.a. and our security personnel were telling us at the time. it is exactly the victim. if i could make a quick point.
3:28 pm
i love what was just said and i hope he will say true to what he said. the rues, however, will determine if this is a fair process, whether the rules for the conduct of the hearing will provide for a fair and open and balanced process. >> you brought up an early point that i will finish with, you say this is not political, just about fact finding but as was brought up, just there week, the national republican congressional committee that supports g.o.p. house of representatives candidates sent out this fundraiser, house republicans will make sure that no one will get away from gowdy and the select committee and, then, will you add your name, today, to join us and become a benghazi watchdog in this is a fundraiser frommed nrc? congressman, isn't this exactly the problem and the danger and the risk?
3:29 pm
and the congressman mentioned you going on a political hunt rather than dealing with issues that people deal with in their daily lives like medicare and jobs? >> yes, which is exactly why i said i will never and have never sent out any literature to raise money in the grief and the tragedy of four dead mens and i so asked my colleagues to follow suit. arkansas did a magnificent job pointing out the hypocrisy of democrats suddenly concluding that certain things are above politics. they raise money on sandy hook, they raise money on katrina, they raise money on iraq and afghanistan. for me, then, i will not raise money on benghazi just like i never raise money using crime victims when i was a prosecutor and i have asked my colleagues to follow suit but it would be hellful if our colleagues on the
3:30 pm
other side of the aisle did not have selective amnesia for what is appropriate to raise money off of and what is not. >> we will have to leave it there, congressman gowdy and congressman. >> republicans are pursuing the administration scandals but democrats call it conspiracy week. our sunday group weighs in. what would you like to ask the scandal about accusations of scandal on both sides of the investigation? we may use your question on the air. use your question on the air. wondering what that is? that, my friends, is everything. and with the quicksilver card from capital one, you earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on everything you purchase. not just "everything at the hardware store." not "everything, until you hit your cash back limit." quicksilver can earn you unlimited 1.5% cash back on everything you could possibly imagine. say it with me -- everything. one more time, everything!
3:31 pm
and with that in mind... what's in your wallet? and with that in mind... with diabetes, it's tough to keep life balanced. i don't always have time to eat like i should. and the more i focus on everything else, the less time i have to take care of me. that's why i like glucerna shakes. they have slowly digestible carbs to help minimize blood sugar spikes. glucerna products help me keep everythibalanced. (crash) ugh! i'm good. well, almost everything. [male announcer] glucerna. delicious shakes and bars...
3:32 pm
3:33 pm
>> they're not telling the truth about benghazi or fast and furious. if they're not willing to tell
3:34 pm
the american people the truth, it must want be very pretty. >> i think it's pretty clear. their focus on the affordable care act has run its course. it's run its course. now they have to find something else to talk about. >> house speaker john boehner and democratic leader nancy pelosi debating this week whether alleged administration scandals are real or phony. it's time for our sunday group. brit hume, julie pace who covers the white house for the associated press, syndicated columnist george will, author of a new book life's little place on the north side about wrigley field at 100, and fox news political analyst. we ask you for questions for the panel. we have two on facebook that we want to put up. first of all, tom johnson asks, how how can republicans conduct these investigations so they are not written off as march washington antics?"
3:35 pm
donna march yea ikes says i want to know what the democrats are frayed of finding out? >> you're writing about benghazi, but how would you answer both of them when it comes to both benghazi and also the pursuit of the irs investigation. >> i think that the answer to the first question is that it is a tall order to try to keep this inquiry from being written off and as just political antics. trey gowdy is articulate, and i think he would be more effective and those that have conducted a prior inquiry have been. there are some things he doesn't have. there's no tail wind afforded by a red hot media climate on this issue. there's been a little bit more media mainstream media buy-in, and not very much. it required that politicians in both parties to participate my guess is that the democrats in this case will feel utterly free and you could pick this up from nancy pelosi's comments to
3:36 pm
dismiss this and really not contribute, and that will add to the sense that this is a political circus. i think it's a tall order. >> julie, you cover the white house, and i'm curious how do top officials there regard what the democrats are calling conspiracy week -- the appointment of the select committee, the voting by the house of lois lerner, the irs official in contempt? do they shooez see these as serious threats, or do they think that republicans have been -- better ishsz for them like obama care. >> i think they write them off completely, especially in a medicine term election year. any time you have something that's in the atmosphere that's not about jobs or any other issues they want to be talking about, it's going to be a distraction for them. they certainly think that republicans have a lot of risk involved with focussing on both of these issues. you know, when you look at polling of the top issues that americans are focused on in the midterm elections, neither the irs or benghazi tends to rate as a top issue. they think that republicans have a risk of overreaching, but to
3:37 pm
get to one of the questions that was posed on facebook about what are democrats worried about coming out of this, that is something the democrats are talking about. if there is nothing to hide, maybe we should at least have a seat at the table in this benghazi committee just to make sure that we're represented and to show that we feel like we have nothing to hide. >> george, is nancy pelosi right? has obama care run its course, and republicans are looking for something else to talk about? >> no, obama care has served its political function for republicans. it mobilized the base for what will be a mobileization election. furthermore, we'll begin to get the rate increases who come from various state insurance directors. they will have new lease on life. i don't think that this has anything to do with that. >> it's added around the -- my point is they pull the filters back and -- my judgment and
3:38 pm
unconstitutional and not to mention illegal intervention and furthermore, the american people can usefully be instructed as to whether or not the general was right. >> he is a deputy head of the intelligence for africom. >> momentarily while the attack is underway at the compound. americans perhaps need to answer that and their military needs to weigh in on what it can do with its f-16s in a compound under attack in an urban neighborhood. >> democrats say this is just republicans trying to gin up their base, but even if that's true in a midterm election, because it's really about turnout, because many fewer people vote in a midterm than in a presidential election.
3:39 pm
>> in north carolina a republican primary, he was the non-tea party candidate. that's been reflected now across the country. i think you see the tea party in decline. there was a poll support of tea party support down. the tea party is the energizing base of the republican vote. medical record to get that vote, you have to go to the talk show audiences. you have to give them some red meat, and the red meat in this case is another -- this will be the 14th benghazi investigation. not to disagree with george about the importance of fighting why we were in libya and what was going in the compound that night. none is the genesis of the probe. there was an e-mail he hadn't seen that said the white house -- one white house official wanted to project the videos more aggressively in secretary rice's talking points. that's all politics. yeah, you want to make the president look good, and, yes, bah in fact, there were protests in egypt, tunisia, and elsewhere caused by the video. so this has -- there's -- it's a
3:40 pm
total farce this thinking. it's a political farce, and intended stir the republican base and turn out for this election. >> i -- several people on this panel are chomping at the bit to funnel that, but i want to turn back to the kidnapping, the terrible kidnapping of these nigerian school girls and the little bit of time we have left in this segment. this week michelle obama and mallalla youssef joined the bring back our girls movement. more than two million people have now tweeted the hash tag. george, i'm just curious because i must say i was not that familiar with this phenomenon. even i it's even got a maim. _#activism. i'm curious what you make of it. do you think this is significant and helpful and can make progress or do you think it's really about helping the people who tweet the hash tag feel better about itself. >> it's an exercise of self-esteem. wron how adults stand there
3:41 pm
facing a camera and say bring back our girls. are these barbarians in the wilds of nigeria supposed to check their social media accounts and say, ah oh, it's trending on twitter. power is the ability to achieve intended effects, and it's not intended have any affect on the real world. it's like environmentalism has become. the incandescent light bulb becomes the enemy. it makes people feel good about themtsz. >> you do think you have to take this for what it is. i don't think anyone is saying that by standing there and taking a picture of yourself holding a sign that you're going to get these girls back, but have you to remember, this is something that had not been talked bshg not even by the nigerian government itself before this started to really take hold on social media. now what it has done is put more pressure on the nigerian government to accept some international assist wrans and to raise questions about, you know, why they hadn't done that previously. standing there holding a sign does not bring the girls back,
3:42 pm
but it could rachet up the pressure that could lead to some more international assistance. >> we have to take a break here, but when we come back, pro-russian separatists hold a referendum today on independence ♪ ♪ so you can have a getaway from what you know. so you can be surprised by what you n't. get o times the points on travel and dining at restaurants from chase sapphire preferred. so you can taste something that wakes up your soul. chase sapphire preferred. so you can. we cannot let the fans down. don't worry! the united states postal service will get it there on time with priority mail flat rate shipping. test test test test test test test test.
3:43 pm
because our priority... amazing! ...is you! the amazing spider-man 2 delivered by the united states postal service.
3:44 pm
that corporate trial by fire when every slacker gets his due. and yet, there's someone around the office who hasn't had a performance review in a while. someone whose poor performance is slowing down the entire organization. i'm looking at you phone company dsl. check your speed.
3:45 pm
see how fast your internet can be. switch now and add voice and tv for $34.90. comcast business built for business. greg facility cot is live from use corroborate on the voting reverend document, with the state department talking about it. here is a little bit of what we
3:46 pm
saw. >> the ballots for self rule are marked in private and brought over to these transparent ballot boxes where we can get an early unofficial exit poll. >> there are a lot of irregular aspects to this based on old rolls. there are no international observers around. and the wording of the ballot is vague "yes" can mean breaking away from kiev to joining us with russia. if you do not agree, they are staying away, but showing up those were vocal with us. there is an atmosphere of violence with security was visible and heavy-handed. the government buildings were occupied by the pro-russian militants. the day was mostly peaceful but there were clashes reported between the ukraine military and rebels and threats at some polling stations. the first results will be heard
3:47 pm
later tonight and then we will look for reaction from russia and vladimir putin has been keeping a pretty careful distance from the vote the last couple of days. thank you, from eastern ukraine. we are back now with a panel. russian president vladimir putin has been playing a very complicated game this week saying that he wanted to delay today's vote but the separatists went ahead l is in sign anyone pulled away and he made a vice visit to celebrate the annexation of crimea. what is his strategy? >> his strategy is to pull into russia's orbit as much of ukraine as he can and wants. so far nothing that united states and the allies have done
3:48 pm
seems to have deterred him even in the slightest bit. he is holding the high cards at the moment and the outcome, he can be patient with the outcome, he can pause, and he can move but the direction is clear and i don't think that the disagreements among allies about what to do about it are anything but an advantage for him and he is in the cat bird seat and it falls to president obama to pull a coalition together to put something together that deters him but it has not happened. >> president obama now is threatening sanctions against entire sectors of the russian economy not only if russia invades, but, also, if they disrupt the may 25th separate election for president in that country. at the white house, julie, do they see vladimir putin talking about pulling troops back and saying put off today's vote?
3:49 pm
are they blinking at all? or do they think this is a pretext? is there any possibility they will impose sanctions before the 25th? >> the sector sanctions? or individuals? >> you tell us. >> the sector sanctions will not happen before may 25 but it is possible you could see more sanctions on individuals or companies if there were other provocative action but in terms of vladimir putin's thing they don't think he has a strategy is making decisions day to gay, week to week as this unfolds and in europe, you can see some officials who actually feel relatively interested in what vladimir putin said. they think that saying he was pulling the troops back although we have in evidence and saying the referendum should be delayed, was positive. the white house doesn't necessarily view it as positive so there could be a further split between the united states and europe in terms of the signals they are getting from vladimir putin.
3:50 pm
>> you talk that there could be no strategy but before vladimir putin went to crimea on friday there was a massive display. look at this, russia's military might in now's red square was celebrating the victory square . the victory over nazi germany. it keeps getting bigger, that ge demonstration under, putin. george, is there a strategy hert and is it that putin wants to rebuild russia? a >> sure, he has a strategy and he'su adjusting his tactics as t you do in war.e this week, the president of france and the chancellor germany demanded he pulled back the russian troops. putin has said he he has already done that.portion but there's no proof of that. he can say after two week from
3:51 pm
today, the presidential election didn'tdi count because there wa so much disorder, but beyond that, he's learning information. what he's learning that europe remains a geographic expression not a political expression and i that he really has nothing to fear from the european union. fm >> so juan, what, if anything, can putin or rather president obama and theob europeans do an whatever they do, wi enough to stop putin or at leass get him to change his behavior?i >> well, i think it comes down to a military scenario and whato we've seen in the months now that this thing has been playine out is that the needle has not moved with regard to the gness willingness of the americans or the europeans to become militarily involved in that d situation so what we're down toi is sanctions and, yes, i think you can anticipate, i think merkle of germany, they said mo yes, they are willing to go wits
3:52 pm
sanctions, even if they cut into the european economy. i think that was good news.weapn the larger issue was about nding weaponry. should we be sending weapons ina to help the ukrainians and the e european response is we're t wat trying to get weapons out of t there and we don't want to get in a fight with the russians, they cut off the supplies and that triggers off a military tak confrontation. at the moment we're really talking about if the russians go beyond the ukraine and attack t any of the nato allies, that isc a commitment the europeans and we would have for military action. >> instead of using sanctions for punishment for actions that putin already takes, should youe get out ahead of him and use sanctions as a deterrent to try to stop him from taking action. we always say if you do this, wu we'll respond, how about the idea of going ahead and imposing sanctions to pry to prevent
3:53 pm
them? >> the way we've been doing so far hasn't helped has it. what i sense is that they don'tb want to provoke the russian bear because the european economic dependence on its trade with russia is suc that the europeans are really not your willing, and they couldn't selly it to their public and all that. this is where somebody needs toy step up and lead, and president obama, i don't think, has done a that, but the way to go would be -- i think russia is sponsi responsive to sanctions.nction >> we got 30 seconds left. any chance that the obama administration may change and pro active. wh >> there certainly areit peoplen the white house who have some ty views on this that they think we should do this ahead of time, tm punish putin before he acts, so far the president has not takenn that advice, though. >> what do you think is the reason? what's the calculation?nk
3:54 pm
>> again, he wants to move in coordination with the europeans> so he feels h like if he moves e his own it doesn't have as much of an impact anyways. >> up next, our power player of. the week.r the pentagon calls on a legendary college coach to talk team work. orbiting the moon in 1971. [ male announcer ] once it's earned, usaa auto insurance is often handed down from generation to generation. because it offers a superior level of protecon. and because usaa'commitment to serve current and former military members andheir families is without equal. begin your legacy. get an auto insurance quote. usaa. we know what it means to serve.
3:55 pm
and i felt this horrle pain on one side of mback. i saw this red, blistery, rash i d 16 magic shows to do. i didn't know how i wasoing to be able to do these shows with this kind of painhat i was in. i told mwife what i had. she went on the internet and said "i think you have shingles." i could feel the shock in my back and it was like "wowts got to get better than is or i'm in big trouble." i could feel the shock in my back and it was like ♪ the restless never stop. they just change boots.
3:56 pm
that's why we made the all-new jeep cherokee. with an exclusive 9-speed transmission and 31 miles per gallon highway. so you can keep going. well-qualified lessees get a low mileage lease on the 2014 jeep cherokee sport front wheel drive for $199 a month. for for 29 yoors, he's been the goal standard in women's college
3:57 pm
basketball but the other day the coach of the university of connecticut huskis took his message to an unusual forum. here's our power player of the week. >> we recruit our players out of high school. they are 18-year-olds. a lot of the young men and women in the military are that age when they first started out. >> geno auriemma was at the pentagon earlier this week for a strategy seminar. the idea to share techniques with military officers for how to assemble a winning team. >> general dempsey said we never played a home game. >> when i first started coaching, i thought i could control all the actions of all the players to get the desired result and i realize now the only thing you can control is how well you train your players to handle that moment. >> one of things i've seen recently, it was attributed to a navy s.e.a.l., and the comment
3:58 pm
was under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion. you sink to the level of your training. >> geno auriemma says one key instead of practicing set plays all the time, his team practices how to play. >> i'm going to give them just enough information and then say figure it out. because once you learn to figure things out, then no matter whapses down the road, you'll figure it out. >> obviously, there are differences as well as similarities. do you think these ideas can be helpful to the military? >> what they can learn from us is we're doing the same thing they are doing except the stakes for us are just winning and losing a game. we really appreciate that they are trying to do the same thing, but it's life and death on their end. >> geno auriemma he's the most
3:59 pm
successful coach in women's basketball. nine national times, five perfect seasons, how do you create thak of extraordinary winning culture? >> if you go to connecticut, and you lose one game, right away, there's this buzz. >> at u con it's almost you have to be perfect or you fail. how do you get them to deal with that kind of pressure? that's different than just being winning, that's being perfect. >> i came across a great quote recently and it said perfection is the enemy of reality, but along the way, as long as -- as long as they are keeping score, we might as well try to win, right? >> uconn's men's basketball team also won the national championship this year. that's the second time they have both held the titles at the same time. have a great week to all the
4:00 pm
moms out there. especially mine. happy mothers day and we'll see you next "fox news" sunday. this is the fox report. tonight, we are learning how they voted, and about violence at the polls. people in eastern ukraine deciding if they will break away and join russia and all eyes on capitol hill right now as we wait to see if democrats will take part in the search for answers about that terror attack on americans at a u.s. consulate in libya. >> i have said from day one, i want this to transcend politics and i want it to inspire trust in you and our fellow citizens. >> the head of a special panel set to get to the bottom of benghazi. vowing to take his investigation wherever the facts